Welcome to our homepage and let us share with you our adventures

Philippines 2009 Import duty

WARNING on Import duty

February 24, I had to send my wind instrumentation to Singapore to be checked. It’s a wireless system and the mast head unit was not talking to the display any more.
We used DHL. They informed us that a CI (certificate of identification) must be established by a Lawyer (can cost between 300.00 and 800.00 Pesos). This allows the item to re-enter the country duty free.
But! If this item needs to be replaced, the CI is null and duty will be charged on the new one. I didn’t know at this time if it will be fixed or replaced.
To save time and (hopefully) money I played dummy and informed Singapore to put a low value for the item (120.00 SGD). On the way back DHL Manila asked me for the CI, I faxed them a letter with the boat’s registrations specs explaining that we are a yacht in transit.
Finally the parcel got released and arrived in Davao. I was asked to pay P 2280.00 duty.
Looking thru the papers, custom upgraded the value from 120.00SGD to 160.00 but I’m not sure about what dollar. I asked DHL for details. At the time I’m writing this I haven’t got an answer yet, and already reminded them two times.
Afterwards you are always more clever.
“Yacht in transit” seems not to apply on imported items in the Philippines.
Talking to Ellen from the yacht Wiskum, She uses FedEx. They fly trait into Davao, and they got the parcels delivered to the door without import taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment